Tabular Editor 3 Business Edition is intended for individual BI developers and professionals, in small- to midsized organisations using the entry-level tiers of Analysis Services.
This edition lets you use Tabular Editor 3 to load and save model metadata to SQL Server Analysis Services (up to Standard Tier), Azure Analysis Services (up to Basic Tier) and Power BI Premium Per User. In addition, you may use Tabular Editor 3 Business Edition as an External Tool for Power BI Desktop, allowing you to easily navigate, enhance and maintain imported data models. If you have previously used the open-source version of Tabular Editor, you are probably already aware how Tabular Editor makes it much easier to add and edit measures, edit object properties in bulk, copy/paste and undo/redo modelling operations. Tabular Editor 3 provides also provides all of these features, and so much more:
- A premium, fully customisable user interface with multi-monitor and Hi-DPI support
- DAX expression, query and script editor with powerful features, such as:
- Code folding
- …and much, much more
- DAX scripting to manage many calculations in a single document
- C# macro creation and recording
- Table data preview with infinite scrolling, filtering and ordering
- PivotGrid view to quickly test measure logic
- Data Refresh view that lets you schedule and track the progress of refresh operations
- Schema Change Detection that works for both Provider and Structured (Power Query) Data Sources
- Customisable diagram view to quickly navigate large models
- Search-window that lets you search object expressions, descriptions, format strings, etc.
- Integrated VertiPaq Analyzer view
You must be an administrator on the Analysis Services instance or Power BI workspace that you are connecting to.
Tabular Editor 3 Business Edition cannot be used in the following scenarios:
- Loading/saving model metadata from/to any of the following:
- SQL Server Analysis Services Enterprise Edition
- SQL Server Analysis Services Developer Edition if the model contains perspectives or tables with multiple partitions
- Azure Analysis Services Standard Tier
- Azure Analysis Services Developer Tier if the model contains perspectives or tables with multiple partitions
- Power BI Premium Capacity XMLA Endpoint
- Power BI Embedded Capacity XMLA Endpoint
- Power BI Report Server
Note that Power BI Premium Per User XMLA Endpoint connectivity is allowed.
Check out the license comparison documentation page for more information.
Supported Power BI data modelling operations
Tabular Editor 3 by default limits the data modelling operations that you can perform against Power BI Desktop, to those officially supported by Microsoft. However, just like the open-source version of Tabular Editor, Tabular Editor 3 has an option to unlock all data modelling operations, but be aware that this could potentially cause data model changes that could break your .pbix file, so make sure to keep a backup of the file, just in case!
For customers of Tabular Editor 3 Business Edition, we are committed to offer support on a best effort basis in our public Tabular Editor 3 community support forum. If you require dedicated support, please consider Tabular Editor 3 Enterprise Edition, or contact us for inquiries on other support options.