Tabular Editor 3 Desktop Edition is intended for business analysts and BI professionals who build data models in Power BI Desktop on a regular basis.
This edition lets you use Tabular Editor 3 as an External Tool for Power BI Desktop, allowing you to easily navigate, enhance and maintain imported data models. If you have previously used the open-source version of Tabular Editor, you are probably already aware how Tabular Editor makes it much easier to add and edit measures, and even unlocks advanced modelling functionality like calculation groups and perspectives. Tabular Editor 3 provides also provides all of these features, with the added benefit of:
- A premium, fully customisable user interface with multi-monitor and Hi-DPI support
- DAX expression, query and script editor with powerful features, such as:
- Code folding
- …and much, much more
- C# macro creation and recording
- Table data preview with infinite scrolling, filtering and ordering
- PivotGrid view to quickly test measure logic
- Customisable diagram view to quickly navigate large models
- Search-window that lets you search object expressions, descriptions, format strings, etc.
- Integrated VertiPaq Analyzer view
Tabular Editor 3 Desktop Edition cannot be used in the following scenarios:
- Loading/saving model metadata from/to .bim files or folder structures
- Loading/saving model metadata from/to any of the following:
- SQL Server Analysis Services
- Azure Analysis Services
- Power BI Premium XMLA Endpoint
Check out the license comparison documentation page for more information.
Supported Power BI data modelling operations
Tabular Editor 3 by default limits the data modelling operations that you can perform, to those officially supported by Microsoft. However, just like the open-source version of Tabular Editor, Tabular Editor 3 has an option to unlock all data modelling operations, but be aware that this could potentially cause data model changes that could break your .pbix file, so make sure to keep a backup of the file, just in case!
For customers of Tabular Editor 3 Desktop Edition, we are committed to offer support on a best effort basis in our public Tabular Editor 3 community support forum. If you require dedicated support, please consider Tabular Editor 3 Enterprise Edition, or contact us for inquiries on other support options.